Sunday, March 06, 2011

65/365


65/365, originally uploaded by sally_re.

This statue is almost heartbreakingly damaged. It looked so lost and odd without it's hands or head....A lot of the statues around it are missing bits too - I hope it isn't vandalism but I have a feeling it is.

One of the most appalling things @clogsilk and I found yesterday on our photographic exploration of the cemetary were the war memorials where the plaques have been stolen - probably for scrap metal. There are huge empty stone squares on the memorial. Don't know if there's any way to recover the knowledge, or the names of the fallen who were honoured and remembered there.

All for a few pounds of copper or brass. It's despicable and horrible and although I couldn't bring myself to photograph the evidence of that, this statue also sums it up to me.

No comments: