Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Can't get this out of my head.....

Today in the supermarket we bumped into the husband and son of a friend - someone I was in post-natal group with but who I haven't seen for over a year. Her son is, obviously, the same age as Oscar. Coincidentally we've both been invited to another of the postnatal group's son's birthday party on Saturday so I thought it was great to see them.

The first thing the little boy said to me was "has Oscar changed his behaviour now?" and I had no idea what he meant. And then the husband chirped - "No longer naughty for a start". And the man didn't seem at all embarrased that his son had just said something so rude. And it felt rude - it felt fucking horrible.

And it really pissed me off. And 4 hours later it's STILL pissing me off. For one thing we haven't seen them or really spoken to them for over a year - and I hardly know the husband anyway. Is this the way my "friends" talk about my kid? Behind my back but in front of THEIR children so that's what they say when they see me or Oscar? And his behaviour has never been that bad - it's only really at school he's had a problem and this kid goes to a completely different school. Oscar has always played really nicely with this kid I assumed....I'm actually surprised this kid even remembered Oscar cos Oscar had to be reminded of his name.....

It's really made me angry and I keep replaying it in my head. I didn' t say much when the kid said it cos I was gobsmacked. And couldn't really tell a 6 year old to fuck off and mind his own business. Tempting as it was.....

Yet again I'm disappointed by someone I thought was a friend. Maybe this is the side effect of making too many friends - one thing I have not been short of since parenthood is mummy mates - women I've met through my children who I probably wouldn't have been friends with if not for the shared experience of motherhood. Some of the women I've met and bonded with, I'm sure I would have been friends with anyway if we'd met in another way. This mother I know I wouldn't have - we have nothing in common at all. And I now am reluctant to go to this party on Saturday and I'm angry and I can't shake or ignore this.

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

Oh Sall, people (and children apparently) can be such utter twats! I can imagine how absolutely boiling mad I would be in your shoes and it sounds like it'll take you time to calm down and I don't blame you!!

I wouldn't, however, let this stop you from going to the party sweetie. xxxx

Clare Griffiths said...

Eek, I'm trying to guess who this might be and it isn't a nice thought. :(