Tuesday, April 06, 2010

At last....a dream fulfilled

When Rob and I first moved to London I got a job at a costume company - Cosprop. It was my first real job after Uni and I did love it there. It was an artistic environment - Cosprop make the clothes for many period films and tv programmes - incredible workmanship. On my first day I was trying to make a good impression so I started cleaning out the (very disorganised) stationary cupboard which was actually in a large safe in the main office. I was pulling everything out in order to reorganise the thing, when I pulled out a very heavy thing wrapped in a towel in a plastic bag. I unwrapped it....

It was an Oscar. A real, very heavy, very shiny Oscar. John Bright, the founder and boss, had won it with his design partner Jenny Beavan, as they designed the costumes for Room With A View. I stood there, mouth agape, until Bernie, the Office Manager explained that John thought the Oscar was tacky - he had the BAFTA in his office, but kept the Oscar hidden away. I often used to put it on my desk and of course, practice my acceptance speech with it in the ladies...

I worked there for a year and it was fun and fascinating to see that side of the industry I loved. You get the best gossip from design assistants I found....and I met some very very famous people. And made them coffee. And decided that politeness cost nothing - some of the most famous were very grateful for their coffee - some of the B list were downright rude....I always imagined writing a coffee table book one day telling you how each celebrity liked their coffee in case they ever popped round for tea.....

The people were brilliant. The costumes were stunning. Unfortunately I was at my largest in those days so nothing fit me....though that was probably good or I'd have spent my lunch hour every day in period dress! I remember trying on all the bonnets from the BBC 's Pride and Prejudice before sending them off.....

But after a year it was increasingly frustrating. People I knew came in for fittings - people I'd been in the National Youth Theatre with or done a play with - and were always surprised to see me behind the front desk - and surprised to have me ask them how they took their coffee.

I wanted to be on their side - to be coming in for a fitting. And I decided until that day came, if I had to earn a living as a secretary, I'd rather be far away from the world that I wanted to be part of. I'd learnt so much in that year that I knew I could get a job temping so that's where I went. At my leaving party, John Bright gave me a sweatshirt with "Oscar Nominee" on it - a genuine one that was gifted to all nominees....I still have it....never worn it....but I love it!

So....14 or so years later - that day is finally here. I went to Cosprop today for a fitting. As an actor. And someone ELSE made the tea! Lots of people were still there from the old days - in fact Jane who fitted me has been there 32 years! It was SO nice to see everyone again and to catch up and also to finally realise that dream from long ago...

Let's hope it's the first of many!

4 comments:

Tequilamonkey said...

Lovely lovely lovely stuff!
You should be super proud of yourself missus!
Life is good :-D

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

Congrats! What a great feeling that had to be. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Loved your write up Sal - very moving. Your wonderful morning was richly deserved. Love from your mum

Bobbie said...

So wonderful that you've had a dream fulfilled Sal!!! Well done gorgeous. xxx