Monday, January 26, 2009

What a difference a day makes....

I just have to blog this, in case it never happens again....I had a REALLY GOOD DAY WITH TOBY!!! He's been adorable and wonderful today - almost like a different child!

Started by sleeping through without waking us at least twice (which hasn't happened for AGES) so that might be why he was in a good mood for one thing. We walked to school, dropped Oz off, went to my friend's for a quick cuppa and then walked to the park. Toby dozed off just as we got there but I woke him to get him out of the buggy. He had a lovely time running through the trees, chasing squirrels, getting soaked on the slide then found the most enormous mud patch and got filthy. But who cares.....

I walked the long way home and he fell asleep again so I kept on walking until I got to my favourite local coffee shop Caravellos where for the bargain price of £3 you get a cappuccino and a fried egg sandwich that is perfection (2 eggs, runny yolks, thick white bread...). Toby slept all the way throught. Got the bus home as my feet were killing me and he woke up as we got to the door.

Stripped him on the doorstep as he was filthy, and he asked for food! Now Toby's appetite has been pants for at least 4 months. He rarely sits at the table at mealtimes - often just the sight of a plate of food makes him tantrum - no idea why. He'll pick here and there but he won't eat. I made 2 scrambled eggs on toast - he sat right up and ate the lot. Then ate a yogurt. Then an apple. Watched a bit of Dora The Explorer and went to a soft play place for an hour. He had a fab time - no tantrums, no hitting or pushing....

Picked up Oz from school, had friends round for tea - again TOBY ATE!!! Miracle. Played nicely....went to bed like a dream.....

I'm not tired, not stressed. I feel great! And I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I've started a course type thing at Oscar's school - SHARE - it's a scheme to improve children's attainment and get parents really involved in learning. I was a bit scornful when I first heard about it thinking, Rob and I are intelligent, we know what we're doing - but I went along just to see and it's actually brilliant. Each week we have a task to do with Oscar - this week I had to make a shopping list with him and talk all about it - helping him understand WHY we need to write things down. He's a reluctant writer - never interested in writing or drawing - so having this guidance and suggestion of methods is invaluable for us. I've even swapped Toby's nursery days round so I can do SHARE in peace on a Tuesday morning.

So tomorrow- SHARE till 10, Aquafit from 11-12, lunch, then pick up Toby - meet friends for coffee in the afternoon then out to my fave restaurant Sapporo in the evening. Instead of worrying if I'll have all the energy for it or feeling miserable, I feel fab.

Hoorah for well behaved 2 year olds - it may never happen again but I can hope at least since it happened today!!!

4 comments:

Clare Griffiths said...

Sounds like you had a fab time! Yay for happy toddlers and their mummies. x

So long, farewell! said...

Sounds like a lovely day Sal! Hurrah!

So glad to hear you are so happy. I was going to give you a call today to check you were okay and then read this lovely post.

The Share scheme sounds great. Off to check the link.

x

zoe xx said...

Glad to hear it - you deserve lovely days like that! As for the SHARE - good on ya!

Bobbie said...

Been meaning to leave you a comment - the good days are THE best aren't they? Really glad you had such a good one. xxxx