Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Being a stay at home Mum

I've been finding it quite tough recently - Toby is really difficult - tantrums, moaning and such dangerous behaviour that I can't take my eyes off him for a minute. He spits his drinks out all over the floor and all down his clothes. He throws things. He breaks things. He climbs everything. Uproots my plants in the garden and eats dirt....he's exhausting.

Oz isn't too bad - he's 4 and being a 4 year old - wanting constant attention, pretending to be a unicorn or a dragon, wanting me to watch him playing on the computer - it's never-ending at the moment and I'm finding it hard.

I was talking to a good friend Lisa this morning - yesterday was awful - Toby had a 40 minute tantrum once he woke up from his late afternoon sleep and wouldn't eat - My Mum was here - she's often told me how bad I was as a toddler - it's what inspired my Guardian article - but she even admitted yesterday that Toby was worse than I was which is quite an achievement!

This morning I was going to go to playgroup with Toby but I'm just exhausted. So I had a cup of tea and a chat with Lisa and we both realised that it's different for us mums who stay at home full time and don't work at all. She's raised three children and also does childminding work so she kind of works but it's not the same as someone leaving the home every day and earning a wage outside.

I had a crisis recently of worrying that I never felt guilty enough leaving my children (I know -crazy isn't it - feeling guilty for NOT feeling guilty). Both my boys have been in creches since they were tiny. I need some time to myself. And it's only a couple of hours a week when I swim or have a coffee in peace. But also my trip to the States - I didn't miss them at all for that week - I revelled in rediscovering myself. And yet I've been hearing from a lot of other mothers how awful they're feeling as their children start school. How much they'll miss them. Or if they put them in a creche for an hour how guilty they feel. But the majority of them work at least part time - so they feel more guilty for having some of their off-work and therefore child time on their own.

I'm not explaining it very well. It isn't really important. I just cut myself some slack this morning thanks to Lisa and a good chat. It's a hard time at the moment. Toby is pushing me to my limits. But I'll hang in there.

As a full time mum you sometimes don't feel you achieve anything in the day apart from the mundanity of housework and stuff. When you work you have status, a job title, promotion possibilities and other responsibilities. I have the boys. And the house. And I even have a cleaner so I'm not the best housewife in the world.....And my achievement will be two wonderful young men one day - and I have to remind myself of that.

I'm just saying, I suppose, that it's a bloody hard job being a full time mother. I know it's just as hard being a working one. It's just hard being a parent! You never really understand that until you're there do you. So anyone reading this who hasn't got kids - ENJOY YOURSELF NOW!!! Go on holiday! Go for a spa break! Go buy yourself an iPod with your wages (I really really want a purple iPod Nano btw that's why). Cherish your freedoms.

All of this is a rant isn't it - I do love my kids - I'm just a bit fed up.......

On a lighter note - I've discovered Booksmart at www.blurb.com - you can "slurp" your blog into a book and have it printed off. So I'm currently formatting it and going through the archives of this site - I've got so many entries it's quite an achievement. My memory is so bad it's like re-living Oscar's babyhood and I'm realising I also moaned a lot during that period too (I had it so easy then and didn't really know...just like life really). So in a year or so I'll look back at this post and think - BLIMEY! And smile.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

You said that you weren't explaining your situation very well, but despite not being a mother, I understand your point. Stay at home moms are amazing and have the hardest job in the world, and I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you!

xoxo

Clare Griffiths said...

Stick with it. You're doing a great job. Typing this one handed as Claudia refuses to be put down! I would be up for a coffee/chat very soon - having a clingy newborn is driving me crazy!

p.s. I don't feel guilty leaving the kids to go to work or to get some me time. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some time away from them, and that includes you time as well as work. So I must be a bad mummy too!

Bobbie said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you Sal that being a SAHM is the hardest thing in the world. I was really sad to go back to work after 9 months but I feel that now I've got the right balance working 3 days.

You're not at all a bad mum for needing your own space, and well done to you I say for not feeling the guilt! I think it's v. healthy to have time away from your kids - both for your own sanity, as well as for your kids socially. Hope you have better days sweetie. xxx

So long, farewell! said...

I just came back for the blurb link and realised my comment didn't show up :o(

Can't remember the words now but it was love and hugs and a reminder that you are doing a great job and that 'this too shall pass'.

Hang in their hun - and you know where I am if you want/need a natter!

xxx

SaraSoup said...

Sweetheart - I wish I was closer. Well...even in the same country would help. I don't want to leave you a cheesy or "fluff" message because I don't know exactly what to say. But I will tell you this, I think you are amazing ... AMAZING and I love you to death.
Do you want some crappy tea from the states? :)~