Friday, March 21, 2008

End of an Era....

I stopped breastfeeding Toby today. I've been meaning to do it since he turned one...but he got ill a lot and it was easier to put him on the boob in my bed when he woke at 6am than get up. But this morning he didn't wake up till 7 (probaby cos I gave him a dose of benylin when he woke up coughing at 4). So I took him downstairs with Oz and gave him his breakfast. He still spent a lot of the day with his hand down my bra but didn't attempt to feed (and believe me he makes it obvious when he wants a boob!)

Tonight I put Oz to bed for the first time in ages and Rob did Toby. Offered him some warm milk through a straw but he didn't want it. He read him a story and Toby has gone down like usual - no problem at all! I'm so surprised!

My boobs are a bit sore but that's to be expected isn't it. I seem to remember with Oz that it didn't last long but he gradually cut the boob feed down himself at about 5 months - just preferred a bottle unlike his bro....

So we'll see. Will I cave if Toby wakes up at 5am tomorrow? I don't want to.

I'm a bit sad. My last baby. My last boob feed. And since I didn't really plan it, I didn't know my last feed WAS my last one if you know what I mean - so I didn't appreciate it. I've had no problems breastfeeding - been really lucky - not a cracked nipple or mastitis or anything with either of them. It's why I've done it for so long with Toby. But I'd quite like my body back now. And to feel physically me again, not that my top part belongs to the baby. Who isn't really a baby anymore. I've got nothing against extended breastfeeding but it's not for me I don't think - can't imagine feeding a 2 year old.

And now I can save up and buy a bra that actually fits properly and supports the girls! So farewell that feeling. Farewell too to the biting and flailing arms that actually were quite painful! Bye bye boobs.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw hugs honey (although not too tight with your sore boobs!) it is sad when it's the end of an era like that.

I decided to let Jove self-wean as it was curtailed so very early with Jaya, but I too would never have imagined feeding a 2 year old... yet here I am!

I'm starting to think about just stopping now too though, he doesn't feed every day, but most days in the morning. I'm going away from him for 5 days soon and I reckon that will be the end of it.

It will be nice to have my body fully back but like you it'll feel sad too. Hope your boobs are nice to you about it, good luck honey xxx