Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Diabetes

When I was pregnant with Oscar - quite late into the pregnancy - I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. That's why (I think ) he was so big (9lbs 14). A year after he was born I had to have another test - and I had a "pre-diabetic condition" -my fasting blood sugar was abnormally high but I managed to process sugar ok. With Toby, I was prepared - from the moment I knew I was pregnant I followed a low-GI diabetic diet in order to ensure he was small and I could have a natural birth.

I had the GTT test at about 20 weeks and again had GD but this time really bad. I lost weight when pregnant - ate hardly any sugar or carbs (was told off by my midwife!) but I couldn't control my blood sugar. I had to inject insulin and I also seemed to have insulin tolerance as I had to inject TONS of the stuff - 2 injections full at a time to get enough insulin in me to keep my blood sugar low. It was amazing that Tobes was only 8lbs 4....I had to have an insulin injection throughout delivery (scheduled c-section) and therefore I was dreading my year later GTT....

I got the results today. NORMAL!!! Wahooo! I was convinced I'd still be in a pre-diabetic condition but almost certain that it would be worse than before I was pg with Toby. Instead it's better. Might be because I've lost 17lbs recently (and am still going) and am a lot more active than before (you try dealing with my 2 hyper kids!).

So good news. I'm so happy! Wish I could go and stuff my face with donuts but that would blow the diet!!!

4 comments:

Clare Griffiths said...

Good news! Stick with the diet - it will be worth it in the end.

Anonymous said...

So pleased it's good news - I have one friend who had GD with both pregnancies and ended up with fully blown diabetes after her 2nd.

Great about the weight loss too!

Miss you, Amy x

Anonymous said...

Well done you!! I reckon you should be suitably proud of yourself :)

Actually my mum has just been diagnosed as being in a pre-diabetic condition, it seems to be a late onset thing in my family so I've got that to look forward to!

Ooh I haven't had a chance to say congrats on the job yet, you're a star in every way :D

zoe xx said...

Well done missus! Glad to hear that news - so excited about tomorrow!!