Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Reality HITS

So....blogger is working again thank God - I still can't post on Vox (or even comment so those people whose blogs I read - I'm still reading - honest!)

Was desperate to get here yesterday and rant...now I'll be calmer.....

Monday. My first day alone with both boys and no nursery. ARGHHHHH!!! I now realise I've been living in cloud cuckoo land for the last 4 weeks. Having Rob for 3 weeks....having Oz in nursery every day. I had NO idea what it was REALLY like to have 2 children....and now I do. Oh yes. I do.

It was hell! Absolutely. How do you do it oh mothers of multiples? I know - I'll get the hang of it eventually but blimey. It was tough.

It was the first time Oscar had to deal with the fact that Toby feeds for bloody ages. And there's no one else around to distract him. So Oz was jumping on me...trying to pull Toby off....purposely doing things he knows he shouldn't like climbing on Toby's baby bjorn chair to try and make me get up and put Toby down. And I was so sleepy cos I had had to get up instead of being allowed by my amazing hubby to go back to sleep after the 6am feed while he takes Oz to nursery.

We were meeting a friend at a soft play place at 10 - it didn't open till 10 - and those first few hours from when Rob left at 8 to leaving the house at 9.50 where tough. Once we got to the playplace it was fine.

Leaving however was not easy. And Oz wouldn't get in the carseat and was jumping around the inside of the car....while Toby and I shivered outside. I just slammed the doors and ignored him. He eventually did what he was told.

Then trying to get Oscar's lunch together while Toby SCREAMED for a feed and Oz had a tantrum cos he didn't want what I was cooking. Then he wouldn't eat it. At this point I was starving cos I hadn't eaten yet, I was having an internal argument with myself over whether I should go to sleep at lunchtime or eat.....I tried to get Oscar up the stairs for his nap - again Toby was screaming - and that turned into a fight.

I can see why people think they turn into screamy mummies when they have 2 cos I spent most of the morning telling Oscar off. He did go for his nap. And I managed to cook myself the nutritious lunch of crispy pancakes while feeding Toby and then we both slept for an hour.

The afternoon wasn't too bad. My friend from the morning was going to come round with her 2 kids but I cancelled - couldn't cope with the thought of it and the house looked like a bombsite and I had no idea how I could tidy up, make tea and cope with 2 two year olds and a 7 month old and have a conversation without crying or jibbering.

So Oz coloured lots of pictures I printed off Cbeebies website. And Toby fed. And fed some more. And I managed to boil the kettle though didn't manage to make a cup of tea....

It'll get easier. That was the first day. And I also appreciate it was tough on Oscar cos that was the first day he didn't have anyone else to give him attention and he had to share me. And soon Toby won't feed ALL the bloody time.....I hope.

So from now on, like the boomtown rats, I don't like Mondays....

Today has been bliss. Woke up at 8.30. Have pottered around, done a wash, blogged, checked my email.......

Let's see how tomorrow goes - Oz is at nursery in the morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a superstar, whatever you do. Sleeping with babies? If it works, DO IT. Whatever works, DO IT. Books are great, I love books BUT sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and follow your instinct. I am also loving the cbeebies printouts btw - such a lifesaver at times. This comment has absolutely no structure but I just am feeling for you and SO wish I was round the corner to make YOU tea, let YOU sleep and take some pressure off.
Security code was limpc btw - the computer knows!

Bobbie said...

I'm there with you sister. I feel like a total schizophrenic at the moment - I can have one fantastic day followed by an awful one. And you're so right about 2 year olds being insane!!!

LangGirl said...

Hiya babe,
Been lurkin' 4 ages and thought I'd drop you a note.

So, I see you stumbled upon the secret and so soon too.... go out whenever you can, like ALL THE TIME!!! Walking on the outside is your friend! That's how I coped in the beginning. Besides, mud / puddles / roadkill!! (delete as appropriate) is far more interesting to a 2 yr old than babies :o)
Sam reacted exactly the same way to H and mealtimes were a blerdy nightmare!

Forget about having folk over, arrange to meet them out - these soft play areas are an absolute godsend for a couple of hours peace, esp if Oz has a friend in tow.

My first 6 weeks were sheer hell, but it really does get better - honest!

Hang on in there hun, you're gonna make it.

Luv 'n' Stuff
Rach
xx

P.S Soz 4 babbling x

Dixie said...

You poor love! I so admire moms for being able to juggle so much on so little sleep.

Wish I could come help you out. I really would too.

Unknown said...

I sometimes wish Id only had 1 baby and even fantasise now about running away and which one would I take with me, sshhh!

HUGS HUGS and more HUGS xxxxx

Sasha said...

No Sal, don't know what you're on about.......!!!!!!!!! Didn't realise how 'easy' one child is until there were two! No advice except to suggest more trips to soft play areas as this would tire Finn out and the added bonus of he thought I was the best Mama in the world, whereas really it was a case of getting him out of my hair!
Big sleepy hugs to Toby Toes and hot scented bubble baths for you
Sxxx
PS Glad I am not the only one who cannot post on vox.....thought it just had a grudge against me!