Sunday, February 04, 2007

Not so happy today (Sunday's entry delayed by crappy blogger not working all day )

Have had 2 nightmare nights with Toby in a row. He slept nearly all day on Friday so I knew it would happen. Friday was a good day - Oz had a sleepover at Mums so Rob and I went out to dinner! With Toby - to my favourite Japanese restaurant Sapporo. It's got sunken tables so we were sitting on the floor with our legs in the sunken bit with Toby right next to us. Very lovely. He slept all the way through the meal then got home and woke up. Of course. He was awake a lot and doing half feeds - he'd fall asleep on the boob and everything I did to wake him up didn't work. So as soon as I put him back in his basket, lay down myself and closed my eyes he'd be awake again. Every hour and a half al l night.

Yesterday was a shit day. I got up and got Toby ready to go to the Dulwich NCT sale - hit appalling traffic on the way there so spent 45 minutes stewing....got to the church hall only to see the biggest queue I've ever seen - right round the block -just to get in. And the sale had been open for half an hour. There was no point. I'd have been waiting for about an hour just to get in the door and god knows how you'd have seen anything in the hall itself if it was that busy. I was really pissed off. An hour of driving for nowt.

So continued to drive to Mum's to pick up Oscar. More appalling traffic. By the time I got home I'd been driving for 2 hours and was exhausted from lack of sleep. Tried to nap. Toby didn't cooperate. He'd do the same as he'd done the night before except it was every 30 minutes.....

So last night I was knackered. I went to bed early - was asleep by 10 - as was the baby.....he woke up at 11 and was awake until 4am. Yup. I fed him almost constantly for 2 hours. I sat holding a dummy in his gummy gob. I rocked him. I ignored him for a while. He finally went off at 4 (I was in tears at this point, didn't know my arse from my elbow I was so tired). I gratefully collapsed into bed....only for him to wake at 5, at 6 and then at 7.....by which time I was going slightly mad.

Luckily it's Sunday today so Rob is here. So I went back to bed and slept from 8 till 11 with Toby sleeping on my chest. So I feel a bit more sane now.....if this happens again tonight I'm screwed cos Rob is obviously at work tomorrow and I have Oscar all day as well - no more Monday nursery.....Oz is being his usual schizo self...crying because his toy towtruck has a hook on the back and he doesn't like it. Insisting he doesn't like his dinner then screaming if you take it away......2 year olds are insane.

So there you go - all my "I'm loving having a baby" posts are gone by the wayside this weekend. I've joined the "I'm exhausted and don't think I can do this anymore" club like nearly everyone else I know with two children or more!

2 comments:

Bec said...

((((Sally)))) I know from experience how hard to is to have to function as normal during that day on little or no sleep.
Have you tried feeding Toby laying down in bed? That's how I feed Jay at night and even though he still wakes several times in the night, I am able to sleep while he is feeding. Just an idea it doesn't work for everyone but anything is worth a go!
Take care of yourself and make the most of any offers of help with Oscar.
Bec x

EG said...

Aww Sally, I'm with Bec here, Joe was a terrible sleeper so I just used to put him in with us for the sake of my sanity. There are certain circumstances when 'guidelines' say you shouldn't but it sure worked for us! And, to quote a cliche, it DOES get better, trust me. You know where I am if you want to sound off, I know exactly where you're coming from babes. Loads of love. Ess. x