Monday, December 04, 2006

Sad day....

One of my oldest friends lost her father last weekend. And the funeral was today. Her mother died two and a half years ago and now her Dad is gone. I can't imagine the pain of being an orphan at 36 years old.....

She asked me to go to the funeral which I was really glad to do - to be there for her and to say goodbye to her wonderful Dad. I've never really been to a proper funeral (that's what comes from a non-religious family). The two I attended were my grandparents and they were very simple, non religious cremations - sad but very short. This was an absolutely beautiful service - an hour of eulogy, hyms, readings. All three of the children were supposed to read - my friend's eldest brother managed to read his but broke into tears many times. The middle brother and my friend both got their partners to read for them as they were so upset. Grandchildren read their memories, we laughed and smiled at the stories. And wept.

I cried all the way through. I mean I cry at adverts at the moment - and this was a wonderful emotional remembrance of an amazing man. I remember him as always smiling, joking, always interested in you, such a warm wonderful man. He was from Belfast and his voice always reminded me of my childhood time in Belfast.

My friend's heart is broken and I ache for her and her family. And I'm glad I was there today cos I got to give her a big hug. But I'm exhausted - emotionally and physically. A long drive there and back.

So raise a glass, have a thought for Bill who was laid to rest today - a wonderful charismatic man, a truly humble and proud father and grandfather. Reunited with his wife again. And probably smiling down on us and sending us psychic tips on good horses to bet on (he placed three bets the day he died - and two won - my favourite anecdote from today)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad. I'm sorry. Hugs to you and your friend on her loss.

Anonymous said...

Here's to Bill.
Crying is such a wonderful release both when happy and sad - I'm so glad your friend had you there too.
Gat some rest as well - look after yourself.

EG said...

It's most comforting isn't it when you think that they have been reunited with their husbands/wives. I always like to think that my nanna and granddad are at the big labour club in the sky, but at the moment, my granddad is probably down the bookies with your friend's dad, asking for his top tips! Hugs to you babes, and look after yourself. XX

Anonymous said...

Aw Sal, it was good of you to go. Your friend most think an awful lot of you to have asked you especially.
The last couple of funerals I have been to I was either pg with Sylvie or Sonny and I was in a heap. At Jims nanas funeral I was verging on the hysterical and i never even met her!

He sounds like a wonderful man and father. Your poor friend. She's lucky to have you though :)

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hugs and love to you and your friend at such a sad time, he sounded wonderful :) xxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh bless.....what a good friend you are. Daft as this seems, when my friends cried at my Mum's funeral (standing room only, and people outside too) it meant soooo much. Mad eh?
How lucky she is to have a friend like you. I worry I too will be an orphan way before I should be.
Big hugs and lol at Bill's betting!! Made me smile lots
Sx