Friday, December 22, 2006

Decision....

Had another hospital/scan/midwife appt this morning. I knew it would be confirming the decisions I made with the consultant 2 weeks ago. First off - baby is normal size again - around 6lbs which is fab. Everything good. My levels aren't brilliant but they're ok and obviously baby is still not being affected too adversely so I'm pleased.

Then the midwife explained a bit more about the possible waterbreaking/induction and how the labour would go if I managed to go into labour. The consultant had said I'd be monitored a lot during it. But the midwife also said I'd be on a drip the whole time to monitor my sugar levels and give me insulin. And I'd probably be bed bound realistically - and therefore almost certainly have an epidural as it's more painful that way. I wouldn't be able to walk around or move. I'd be stuck on a bed.

Exactly what I don't want. I know I wanted to avoid a caesar at all costs but the idea of labouring on a bed for hours, with no ability to move or anything....it's not what I want. It's up to me - they may not be able to break my waters anyway so it may be a moot point. I may just have the planned caesarian anyway. But at the moment I'm scheduled to go in on the Sunday night to be "induced". I think I'm going to tell them not to bother trying. And put away my raspberry leaf and clary sage. I don't want to labour like that.

I was so terrified of the recovery for the caesarian. But as I learn more and make more contingency plans, it's not going to be that bad - I'll cope. I recovered fast from the emergency one and the recovery from a planned one is always easier. I've already put things in place for care of Oscar - like staying in nursery for full days for a few weeks rather than half days. Asking for help from friends. I think it will be fine. And it's only a few weeks.

Of course if I sponataneously go into labour before the 7th then so be it. But I'm not going to try and start it. No fresh pineapple or curry (or sex - Rob is so disappointed).

I'm 90% sure this is what I want - what do you think?

4 comments:

So long, farewell! said...

Oh sugar, it's hard to know what to suggest apart from go with your gut feeling. I know I personally wouldn't like to be stuck in a bed all that time as it would drive me up the wall. Hugs to you.

The 7th is a great day to be born though - our wedding anniversary! - and the 8th is Elvis, Janet & Helen and Shirley Bassey's birthday so 2B will be in good company!

xxx

Anonymous said...

I think it's totally up to you, but personally, considering the similarities between Oscar and Clara Jane's births, I would go for the planned c-section. I'm sure my labor was slowed by being numbed and bed-ridden. That can lead to another emergency C. I know a lot of people have decent deliveries with induction, water breakage and epidurals. But a lot don't.

You know what to expect with the recovery time, and you've done a great job of planning ahead. You'll be fine. Either way, you'll be fine.

Sending vibes that the little bee-boy decides to come on his own and you don't have to decide at all.

Al said...

The only thing I would say is that a second c section is a bit worse than the first, don't know why, and I had had a decade gap between mine so I was really surprised at the fact that it took me longer to recover second time round considering first time round I was shingle and infection ridden!! I would love to have had the option of a normal delivery, but I could never have one, I'm not saying that's what you should opt for by any means, god no!! My pregnancies were both extremely high risk, both the twins and Jack all delivered prematurely and at the end of the day it's about getting baby out safely and ensuring the best health for both mummy and baby.

The labour sounds to me like no fun whatsoever, and if a c section is what you want then perhaps add a few more days recovery into your contingency plan Oscar wise - just in case! We'll always have him for a couple of days if need be, you know that.

Alx

Dixie said...

No advice from me because I don't know my arse from my elbow about such stuff but I'm sending lots of love and good wishes that whatever course it takes that it be smooth and safe.