Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Just my luck

Another post...forgot to mention earlier - Rob has gone to Utah this morning for a week so I'm home alone with the bairn until Sunday -which I hate....

Today has been a good and bad day - we actually had bookings at the LAB (HOORAH) but then had to cancel because all - yes ALL of our therapists let us down at the last minute. Something to do with London Fashion Week....grrrrrr.

But on the upside we went to Kings Hospital where all our yummy mummies give birth and had a really great meeting with the head midwife. She's going to distribute all our leaflets to parenting classes and to the community midwives to give to expectant mothers. Fab.

Rest of the day was sorting out contracts and stuff with Julie. Picked Oscar up from nursery and it looked like he'd been in the wars - scratches on his face where I think he walked into a bush and a nasty scrape on his arm. Because my little man is so tough, he didn't cry so the nursery only noticed the marks and have no idea how he got them. When asked, he said he fell over in the garden.

He was also EXHAUSTED. He woke up 3 times last night crying - hasn't done that for ages and I've no idea why. He won't sleep when he's at nursery and they think that's why he was so clumsy and hurt himself. His little eyes were red but he WOULDN'T go to bed tonight.

Rob does bedtime - always has. And tonight it was going well - he and I had a good shower time, dried off, read 2 stories and then I gave him some medicine cos he's a little warm and has a cough. Then into bed and lights out.

And he freaked! Screamed. I left him as I usually do for five minutes but THEN - a first. He climbed out of the cot and came into the office. I picked him up and said in my best supernanny voice "it's bedtime baby" and put him back. He got out again. Now this is getting out from a cot with barred sides almost as high as he is - in a sleeping bag so he's got no foot leverage. So I said "bedtime" and put him back. He got up again. This time I didn't speak and put him back.

10 attempts later he's so hysterical and a bit bashed from the falls out of the cot that I pick him up and give him a cuddle. He clings to me! Absolutely beside himself. We have a rock in the chair and then finally I put him down again and he resists - clinging onto my arms. I prepare myself for another round but as I close the door he's gone all quiet. And that was 10 minutes ago.

He usually goes down easily - a few whimpers possibly but easy. That's the hardest EVER.

Why? Possibly because he misses his Daddy. If so then god help me for the rest of the week cos it'll only get worse.

ARGH!!!!!!!! I'm usually counting the minutes until Rob gets home from work so I can breathe and relax. Especially in the second half of the week with teaching every day. And I'm flying solo. 6 months pregnant with a suddenly psychotic 2 year old who is suicide leaping out of his cot.

Suggestions?

3 comments:

zoe xx said...

A gin and tonic?

Just kidding.
Sounds like he's really overtired, and you did exactly the right thing. If he gets a good night's sleep tonight, hopefully it won't be as bad tomorrow. I can't believe that he managed to climb out whilst in a grobag - that's pretty agile!

Hope things get better for you hon. Thanks for your text, forum messages and blog messages - it was lovely!

So long, farewell! said...

Legs in concrete - my answer for everything toddler related :o)

EG said...

I'm with Zoe on this one babes, Joe gets himself hysterical when he's overtired, a nightmare! You did absolutely right though, I haven't got nearly as much willpower though, I end up lying on our bed with him and I fall asleep!
E. xxx