Friday, July 07, 2006

It's not twins!!

Had the scan today. I was remarkably nervous before hand - butterflies in my stomach, feelings of dread.

But it was all fine - although 2Bee was very unco-operative. Got the first glimpse of the baby which was lovely - lying on it's side all snuggled up. The radiographer checked that all the bits and bobs were where they should be - but when it came to the nuchal measurement, 2Bee wouldn't co-operate. I coughed, he prodded - quite painful on a caesar scar - but nope.

So I had to retire to the waiting room and drink and drink until my bladder was full and we'd try again. 40 minutes later - still no joy - this time 2Bee was head down, very wriggly but still not showing neck. The radiographer described the baby as a "little sod"! So doesn't bode well for the future!

So I had to try and let out half of the contents of my bladder - good for the pelvic floor! - and go back and try again. At last - he got a measurement. 1:937 which is great.

First time we went in Oscar was asleep but the second time, he was awake - not sure if he really registered what was happening!

I'm so relieved. And now I feel officially pregnant. The dates are correct so I'm not more pregnant than I thought I was - bang on 12 weeks. In fact the baby is a little small (how unusual for this family!) but I don't think it really matters a jot at this stage. It's got arms, legs, bladder, brain, stomach - all is healthy and well. And I'm very happy.

We didn't really get a good picture - 2Bee is definitely camera shy (how even more unusual!) and anyway, my scanner is kaput at the mo. Next scan will be early September and hopefully I can show you a lovely shot then.

10 comments:

Al said...

Hoorah!! So pleased everything is ok. I HATED my nuchal, I felt like I'd been whacked several times in the stomach with a cricket bat by the time they had finished, just because they wanted baby to move BOTH arms! Pay no attention to sizes, Jack was almost of the chart at 12 weeks, hooooge, as long as a 16 week pg, only my placenta told the real story, and by the time he was 20 weeks he had evened out and by 31 weeks they were suggesting he had dwarfism!! Bloody scans, we would be better of without them sometimes!

So glad everything is ok, I guess it would have been nice to be further on but then that wouldn't have boded well for christmas really would it?!!!

Take care of yourself, 2nd trimester now, yippee!!

Alx

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the second trimester! Glad to hear all went well. I've been thinking of you today!

So long, farewell! said...

Fantastic news darlin! Grinning from ear to ear for you - but camera shy??? What's going on there then?

love and hugs

xxx

Jess said...

So happy to hear that everything is well!

Kirsti said...

Glad to hear that it all went well... and just ask mum how difficult second babies can be.... ;)

EG said...

(((((Sally))))) 2bee, sort yourself out and smile for the camera next time please!! So glad everything is ok, look after yourself babes...

Ess. x

Unknown said...

Yay!!!! Thats fab news. :)))

Clare said...

Fab!!! :)
I think it's a girl, don't believe the stuff about boys being difficult!!!!
Never had a nuchal scan, maybe it's a good job!

Sam said...

I'm so so happy for you all Sal! Those first 3 months are like walking on egg shells so you can kind of take a deep breath and relax a little more now - We'll be pestering you for bumpy shots shortly y'know - it's the only way I realise how quickly time is passing these days, I can't believe how quickly these baby bellies are all growing!

Dixie said...

This is all wonderful!