Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hormotional!!

I just watched Empire of the Sun. I haven't seen it for a long time and certainly not since becoming a mother. A mother of a son. God it tore me up. The bit where he was separated from his mummy of course. And when they were reunited.

I'd forgotten how amazing Christian Bale is. I think he's a wonderful actor now but then - God, he must have been all of 12. And he carries that whole film. And I believe him every moment. I know this is one of Spielberg's least successful films but I have no idea why.

It affected me so much, I just came upstairs, lifted a sleeping Oscar out of his cot and sat and cuddled him (thankfully he stayed asleep) for 10 minutes.

It's my worst nightmare I think - to lose your child - in any way - but to be forcefully torn apart and then have no idea what or where or how......chilling.

I think it's also partly because I'm full of hormones! But if you haven't seen this film for a long time, or have never seen it - watch it.

8 comments:

So long, farewell! said...

Aww babe, I'm there with you - I laughed the other night and it turned into tears and I filled up when Brass got shot on CSI... bonkers.

Hope you're doing okay otherwise though.

How are the cravings?

xxx

Dixie said...

Oh I love that movie. I just cry and cry and cry at the end.

Unknown said...

Aaw Sal. I cried when Nikki got evicted from BB and was so shocked she couldnt walk out of the door without Davinas help....

Sam said...

That's my worst nightmare too, it would be unbearable - sometimes you need a hold-on-tight-kinda-hug to confirm how lucky we are. I love a good weepie, but when you've got those rampant hormones on top of it all, it can almost make you stop breathing! Never seen the film, will be on the lookout!

Al said...

Hi, Empire of the Sun is one of those films you need to leave about 10 years between watchings I think, especially if you are a parent. I'm a big Christian Bale fan (nice young welsh boy as my nan would say), though he wasn't looking his best in the Machinest!

I've lost Phil a few times, twice the police have been called, once when he was 2 in the Glades, and then again when he was 6 and it was 2 weeks after Sarah Payne was found and thankfully despite half of the Met out looking for him he sauntered home on his own having fallen asleep under a bush!! But at the time I was beside myself thinking the worst and when he did turn up I turned into a demented fishwife screaming at him, but it was just the fear talking!

Alx

Kathy said...

I love the Empire of the Sun; it makes me cry every time. I don't know why it's one of Speilberg's least successful films either.

EG said...

I lost Joe for a split second last week and my heart was in my mouth, it's awful. Kell, I cried when Nikki left the house, and I'm not even pg!
Sally I keep meaning to ask you, have you seed Celeb Love Island? Brendan Cole looks so out of place!

Anonymous said...

Have to catch up on Love Island! Has he said anything interesting?

Just wanted to say re weepies - I saw "The Lake House" yesterday and nearly texted you to say how good it was - but maybe not if you're that hormonal?

xxxx Pearl