Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cream Crackered

The party was fab on Thursday night. I didn't take pics - sorry - but Kirsti has my camera USB cable and my card is full and I can't download em till she gets here....so can't take any pics at the moment.

There was free food, free booze (boo hiss to no drinking) and we ended up playing poker which was a blast. I won twice! Once with 3 aces. Much fun. Got in at midnight which is seriously past my bedtime. But had more fun than I'd had in a long time.

Yesterday I spent the day running round after Oscar - morning in the park (including having to carry him on my shoulders for about 10 minutes to get him back to the car), afternoon in my friend Clare's garden(where Oz, Frank and Jessica all ran around starkers having a blast). Oscar was a right handful, it was red hot and I was exhausted...

BUT had arranged to go out with my lovely lovely friend Joyce for a mutual birthday celebration....so up to London I trecked in the evening - and had a yummy sushi dinner at Kulu Kulu followed by a long meandering walk through Soho trying to find Joyce's husband (and Rob's best mate) Andy in a pub, then walked to Covent Garden (where Andy bought me a ride on a carousel as my birthday present). I love carousels. If I ever win the lottery I want my own one - like in the Sting - in my basement - all lit up and sparkly and there whenever I want to ride it.

Today Joyce had got me some comp tickets to see On The Third Day - the play that won the Channel 4 competition The Play's The Thing. I was almost too tired to even think about it. But Mum offered to buy Rob and I a lovely lunch and it was bliss to have time together without Oz. He played with mum all afternoon, we had a chinese meal in Chinatown (dim sum for me, sizzling chili chicken for Rob) and watched the play. Which was all right....not west end standard. And Maxine Peake was trying desperately to do a posh RP accent which occasionally sounded like Penelope Keith but then slipped into Coronation Street when she got emotional. It was a hard part for her to play and the ironic thing (and the reason we went really) was that her character was a planetarium presenter at the Royal Observatory (Rob would be her boss). It wasn't very accurate....Rob was suprised the author hadn't contacted the Museum for information....

Beautiful set. Wierd play and the ending didn't work. Bit depressing really if that was the best the country produced....I've direct experience of excellent new playwriting (Hello Moxie) and it's a shame that new writing just isn't cutting it anymore.

Picked Oz up - he'd had my mum in tears...of laughter. On the way home he asked for hamster pancakes with custard for his dinner. Honestly! I nearly crashed the car. I think he got it from a song about a hamster that's on his car tape, they made pancakes on Nick Jr this morning....and tubby custard. He's combined them in his head to make a gourmet dream dinner....any recipes, let me know!

I fell asleep on the sofa earlier so am wide awake now. Luckily. Cos one of the neighbours is having a serious reggae party and the music is so loud, there's no way I could sleep if I wanted to. Luckily Oz's bedroom is at the front of the house.

So I'm surfing a bit. And catching up. Kirsti gets here a week on Monday (yay!). I've got birthday parties almost every weekend until the end of August. I've got lots of time on my hands now MM has finished so Julie and I will be working hard on the LAB. (Ursula - it's a business I'm starting up - www.livingafterbirth.co.uk).

I've used lots of brackets here. I think I'm in a brackety mood. I'm getting old...eek!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All is explained - thanks Sal! Good luck! Ux

So long, farewell! said...

lol @ hamster pancakes :o)

xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie,

Bizarrely enough I was in Covent Garden too Friday night, watching the carousel and telling my date(!$%) about the time we went on there after ice skating - such a long time ago (I think we are both getting old!) The buskers were amazing and all these people were getting up to dance - felt like being in an exotic city...

Weirdly enough also got rudely awaken on Sunday morning by a neighbour playing garage at full blast(?!) When I realised I couldn't get back to sleep I threw on my clothes and went over to tell them off - all their windows were open and it was so loud - I just stuck my head in window and swore very loudly at them - the poor guy looked really shocked (I think it was the glasses and the bed head and constant use of the f word) - but it was very quiet for the rest of the day. And I encourage you all to do the same to your noisy neighbours!

xxx Pearl xx

Unknown said...

Oz cracks me up, hamster pancakes sound like some bizarre pregnancy craving!
Take it easy pregnant lady. You sound like youre rushing around in the fast lane. Sloooow down ;)