Thursday, June 08, 2006

Magnificent Moxie

Last night dear husband was on the loo reading my magazine that I'd left in there (as you do)...when he shouted into the bedroom - "what is moxie doing stark naked in Psychologies Magazine??!!"

I couldn't believe it when I saw it but it's true. About 4 years ago I heard through my agent that David Bailey was looking to photograph ordinary people for his new book - in the nude....I wasn't brave enough to do it. Moxie is quite the amateur photographer herself but it had always been an ambition to be photographed by Bailey. So she did it. Went along with a work colleague, stripped off and let David Bailey photograph her.

And the photo is AMAZING. Go out and look at, or buy this
month's Psychologies Magazine -
it's got Halle Berry on the front – and turn to page 93 – in a full page photo opposite the article “How to Build Body Confidence” is the magnificent Moxie in all her glory, standing next to her friend Sheryl, with the most wonderful confident look on her face – inspiring and awesome in the true meaning of the word.

I’m so proud of her! And tickled too – I rang her last night and she had no idea. She wasn’t paid for the shoot so doesn’t receive any royalties or anything. But she did get a copy of the photo signed by Bailey which will be worth a huge amount one day. And she has a record of her fantastic body and her confidence in showing it. And it's such an appropriate image for the article.

Bailey's book is called Bailey's Democracy and it says in the article "In their naked honesty they ask the viewer to confront the human form in the most direct and honest way. There is no artifice, no computer enhancement, no smoothing of skin surfaces, no soft focus or subtle shadowing. What you see here is the stark, triumphant reality of the human body."

And it is triumphant. I'm so proud of her - I wish I'd have had the guts to do it myself but I wasn't and still am not that confident in my skin. So go look. And applaud her.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Moxie! That and the weather makes me want to strip off right now!

Apparently PETA are doing a running of the nudes in Pamplona - if anything can divert attention from the bulls!

Pearl x

Clare said...

Wow Moxie! I'm not sure I should look! No vag pits I hope :)

So long, farewell! said...

Thanks for the heads up Sal - I got a copy this morning... tee hee... I've also got a copy of the book coming off Amazon cheap too. Might as well make a package that I can sell later on eBay :o)

The buggers spelt my name wrong so I suppose it will be spelt wrong in the book too and you know how much it bugs me when they get my name wrong grrrrr lol.

Anyway, something to tell the grandchildren I suppose... Off to flash my baps at the neighbours.

Sam said...

Oooh errr! *applauding loudly* I'm not sure our local shop sells a great range of mags but it's worth a nip into WH Smiths! Hurrah for such amazing confidence and being so inspiring to others. Have you thought of having some pics taken with your 2bee bump Sal? That moment when you feel energised and glowing can give you massive self confidence and is a lovely time to have a special pic done. I love the ones I had done with LJ.

Unknown said...

Walked into our local newsagent today and there was Halle Berry staring at me. Well, I just had to buy it, even though Id decided (once again) to stop spending vast amounts of dosh on trashy mags. This being a more intellectual read I thought myself justified.
Magnificant Moxie indeed!

zoe xx said...

I love Psychologies and had already read it and admired Moxie and her pal before I read your blog - wow, well done Moxie, how fabulous!!

Sal, I wouldn't have the guts to do it either...