Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Decade....

As of tomorrow I will have been married for ten years. TEN YEARS! A whole decade. Seems like such a long time...and then again it doesn't. I met Rob when I was 19 and he was 18 - though he turned 19 a week later. We were students in Leicester. I had purple hair. He had a leather jacket with a map of the world in the lining. I was loud. He was quiet. I was (and am) an extrovert. He was (and still is) painfully shy. I did performing arts. He did biology. I had lived all over the world. He had never left the country. In fact had never been on a train until he came to university.

We were opposites.

We got together...well I don't know if I want to tell you how exactly we got together(Moxie knows - shhhh)...but put it this way - he made a move, a very bold physical move - he was a bit drunk - I was a bit of a tart! I thought he'd be a one night stand. He moved in the next day. We have hardly been apart since. We skipped the whole dating thing - just moved in. And that was that.

15 years later....we're happy, we're a family. This last year and a half with Oscar in our lives has been the most emotional of our long relationship - the most amazing and the hardest. We've had to work at our relationship more than ever and we've still got to work harder.

But 10 years ago tomorrow, I married him.

We had two weddings - both on the same day (I picked May 4th so he'd always remember it - May the Fourth Be With You...). We had a registry office do in the morning - here's my favourite pic of the day... My dresses were designed by a drag queen (hence the boobage)

Then we split up - gave each other the rings back - and met a couple of hours later at Charlton House and had a humanist wedding - it wasn't legal (hence the morning ceremony) but it was the ceremony I wanted - walking down an aisle on my Daddy's arm - wearing a huge frock, bridesmaids - the whole caboodle. My friend Gina sang "Dream a Little Dream of Me" instead of hyms - it's our song - and we read this poem to each other - taking a verse each..

I promise to give you the best of myself...
And to ask of you No more than you can give...

I promise to accept you the way you are...
I fell in love with you
For the qualities, abilities,
And outlook on life that you have,
And i won't try to reshape you
In a different image

I promise to respect you
As a person with your own
Interests, desires, and needs,
And to realize that those are
Sometimes different--
But no less important--
Than my own

I promise to share with you...
My time, my close attention,
And to bring joy and strength
And imagination to our relationship.

I promise to keep myself open to you...
To let you see through
The window of my personal world
Into my innermost fears and feelings,
Secrets and dreams.

I promise to grow along with you...
To be willing to face change
As we both change
In order to keep our relationship
Alive and exiting

And finally,
I promise to love you
In good times and in bad,
With all I have to give
And all I feel inside...

In the only way I know how...
Completely and forever


He's the only man I've ever known. My only boyfriend. My only love. We've grown up together. He's amazing. As I type this I can hear him singing "Skinny Marinky Dinky Dink" to our son as he puts him to bed.

I can't remember my life without him. Soon, in about 5 years, I'll have been with him for longer than i'll have been without him. And I love that.

So to my husband. You're amazing. Here's to 10 more...

(of course he doesn't read this blog - he doesn't know where it is....but I might show him this entry!)

12 comments:

zoe xx said...

You know, when I read this, I thought (as you and I have both thought so very often) that we are so similar - this is practically what I wrote two months ago on my blog on our 10th - we are MEANT to be friends.

Happy Anniversary dearest Sal and Rob - hope you have a happy day of reminiscing and laughter and love and gorgeousness

All love

the three of us
xxx

Clare said...

Sal, thanks for sharing, I LOVED reading your story.
Wishing you year upon year of happiness and a wonderful anniversary tomorrow xxxx

So long, farewell! said...

Happy Anniversary darlin!

Here's to many more years of wedded bliss.

xxx

Anonymous said...

HOORAH to wedded bliss!
HOORAH to not having to do the old single thing!
HOORAH to Rob being the type of Dad who'll sing to their child!
HOORAH for amazing drag dress designers!
HORRAH for fabulous boobies!!!!!

and a final HOORAH to Babycentre for which I am eternally grateful for meeting you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dixie said...

I'm weeping here! Weeping! I am a sucker for a great love story and Sal, you and Rob have a great love story.

And I've always loved your wedding pictures.

Happy anniversary. I hope you have ten times ten more. May your love and devotion to each other and to Oz only grow and strengthen over time.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Here's to a wonderful first decade of marriage and many, many more! I'm so happy for both of you, and I never tire of hearing your fairy tale. You're a wonderful couple and one of these days, I know I'm going to have the honor of seeing the two of you together.

steve said...

i was there! and i remember it well ... how could anyone forget ... it was a wild crazy beautiful day ... the tits ... the songs ... the organising ... the jouy and the love

one small note if i may ... you do not ... i repeat not ... post pictures that include your friends in the background which show clearly how young they looked ten years ago ... quite a shock to the system to see that first thing in the morning :)

happy anniversary both of you ... enjoy the next ten ... love n hugs ... see you on friday :)

steve

Al said...

Hoorah for gold wedding dresses!! Though I kept my cleavage under wraps - it was december after all!! Looks like it was a fabulous day and has been a fab 10 years. And here's to many more

Alx

EG said...

Wow, Fab boobage Sally - and Happy Anniversary! Here's to the rest of your lives together!

Ess, x

Sasha said...

Gorgeous photos Sal. The happiness of you both just shines out! Am incredibly jealous of the breasts!!!
Happy Anniversary! A lovely lovely post!
Sxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Amazing photos Sal, am so impressed by the boobage!

Lovely poem and your sedding day dounds so so special. Relationships are hard but you've been together an incredible amount of time before Oz came along so that must count as the strongest of platforms to become a family.
Youre just fab!

Anonymous said...

Aw what a gorgeous entry! You looked fab at both your weddings lol! As a scary aside though, my dad had a leather jacket with the World in!