Sunday, April 02, 2006

Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

It's wierd you know. I've been away from Rob a lot - since Oscar was born as well - and every time I've missed him but never this much. You see I was always the one going off to do something (usually with Oscar in tow)- visit Kirsti, film something....I think this is only the second time PostOz that he's left us.

And it's really hard! I haven't managed to get a thing done this weekend - all the usual weekend washing and chores and stuff - because I'm sole carer and Oscar just won't let me. He's not exactly clingy but he likes you to watch him do stuff or sit next to him while he does something. And he grabs you or pushes you to get you to go where he wants....we had a huge tantrum this morning - we went out into the garden - I was trying to knacker him out (he was up at 6) and thought a kick about with the ball would do it. We used to have a pond in our garden - had it filled in over the winter. There have been a lot of frogs in the garden but I didn't think much of it. The little f***ers have laid frog spawn all over the grass - almost outlining where the pond used to be. It's gross. And bloody sticky! I've been trying to shovel it off the grass but it won't budge without taking half the lawn with it. So I was trying to keep Oz down the non spawny end - and the ball out of the goo......he wasn't happy. So I retreated to my Mother's house. We were supposed to be meeting for a yummy lunch out with my Dad who is home for the weekend. Instead we had a few hours this morning playing in her garden and kitchen and when Oz started to get grumpy I brought him home. And had a tin of beans for my lunch instead.

My mum has been fantastic. She came round again this afternoon for about 40 minutes and enabled me to hang one load of washing out, do another, load and run the dishwasher and make soup. I'm knackered.

Bath time tonight was really horrible. Oz has slept today - only an hour - but was very overtired and excitable at bath time. We were doing ok until teeth cleaning. He was asking for Daddy all the time, then threw the toothbrush and paste at my head and started hitting me.

A lot.

And hard.

I stopped him - did the usual warning, stern voice, eye contact. Then held him in my arms with his hands pinned down (like they do on Tiny Tearaways) and ignored him for a minute. Then asked him to say sorry. He did - then hit me again. So I did it again for a minute. No effect.

So instead of the protracted bedtime routine - 2 books, a cuddle, milk, twinkle twinkle little star....I just put him in his sleeping bag and said goodnight. And shut the door. I planned to wait 5 minutes till we both calmed down. He screamed for a bit then went to sleep. When I went back in after 5 minutes I stroked his head and told him I loved him and goodnight but he was barely awake. Not a peep since.

I have tried to call Rob 3 times and am now on chattable terms with the receptionist at Little America Hotel in Salt Lake City - don't know where he is but I got an email saying he had arrived so will try him again tomorrow. I'm going to bed now.....

I don't know how single parents do it. I don't appreciate enough how much Rob does. Well I do - but you don't really know what you've got till he's gone.....

2 more nights.

5 comments:

Sam said...

(((Sally))) I hate being apart from John so much too, (he works 7 day weeks 5am till 6pm and passes out by 9pm) but if I didn't get those few hours a night seeing him I'd go mad. I totally feel for you, little Oz will miss him too! Have you spoken to Summer though? She's just done an incredible 4 mth without her fella in a new country and has survived! We're made of strong stuff, you'll be fine Sal, take time to treat yourself when Oz is sleeping!

Al said...

Ahhh, the old pinning them down in your arms trick, until they calm themselves down, ahhh those were the days.......!! Touchwood Jack hasn't gotten like that yet, but Daniel could still do with it sometimes and he's 11!!!

How do single parents manage? Um, we turf our kids out onto the streets, let them play with traffic, feed them turkey twizzlers 5 times a week, leave them be whilst we go down the pub, and knock them from one side of room to the other if they act up. Well that's what the general MISconception is anyway ;). I did it for 4 years on my own and actually the longer you are on your own the easier it gets, Oz is acting up because he's got a short term change on his hands, that's all, after a week, whilst he wouldn't have a halo, he'd certainly be much better. Only a couple more days to go, then you can thrust him at Rob and go let out all that frustration with a blow torch at that frog spawn in the garden

Alx

Sasha said...

Bluddy hell woman, how much did you get done in the 40 minutes your mum was over??!! Good going!
Arse to men going away. Know what you mean about not really appreciating what they do until they are not there.
Grrrrr to the spawn of satan on your lawn, have they no respect!
Hope the next two nights pass quickly honey, sorry last night was such a shitter, much much worse for you than Oz who will have no recollection!
How many hours till Rob is back?
Love Sxxxxxxxxxxx

EG said...

Hiya! I know exactly how you feel. We don't have much of a routine here, but we do have quite a strict one at bedtime, whenever John has been in hospital it has been a nightmare. At least you know when Rob will be home and you can show him how much you appreciate him ;)

Ess. x

Unknown said...

Im sorry youre having a tough time Sal. Its hard when your on your own and you have no respite. Sylvie has been so miserable today, I know shes out of sorts but its so emotionally draining I long for bedtime when shes like this. Then feel guilty for feeling like that once shes sound asleep. (Not feeling that yet though as shes still awake in cot after an hour and half, 5 cuddles and one lot of medicine, sigh!)

Sending you big sympathetic hugs. Its a hard job being a Mummy x