Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Supermum and Oscar aka Bigfoot (with recipes!)

First of all - thank you all of you who left such lovely comments after my yesterday's borefest - i honestly wasn't fishing for compliments but I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. You make me very happy and I appreciate you all!

Right - today I was determined NOT to be boring (and I may have overdone it as I'm flipping knackered)

So - supermum day -

AM
Got up at 7.15 with Oz - we both had breakfast then I started making spinach soup. Here's how I did it

3 leeks
2 onions
1 large potato
3 sticks of celery
half a bag of spinach
about a pint of stock (I use the low salt organic veg cubes)
Pepper

Chop all the vegetables roughly (except the spinach) Saute the leeks, onions, celery and potato gently in a large knob of butter for about 10 minutes. Add stock to cover the veg. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the spinach. Simmer for another couple of minutes - add a bit more liquid if necessary. Add pepper to taste - salt if you want (it's a bit tasteless without salt but I don't like to add salt to Oscar's food) Then whizz it all with one of those hand blender things or in a liquidiser to make it smooth. Presto! Soup!

Oz won't eat veg you see - but he loves his soup - so I make this every couple of days - varying the ingredients. As long as you have 5 veg it usually works whatever combo you do. So it's now about 9 am. I get dressed for the gym with my swimming cossie on under my tracksuit. Then I bomb downstairs and pack the swimming bag - making sure to pack my underwear since I'm wearing my cossie - been caught out with that one before....

(Oz is engrossed in CBeebies while I'm doing all this btw - thank god for a telly addict kid).

I then make him a quesadilla sandwich for his packed lunch -

2 tortillas
Chopped green pepper - about a quarter of a pepper
1 chopped stick of celery
1 chopped spring onion
Some grated cheese
a couple of spoons of tinned refried beans.

Chuck tortilla in a warm dry frying pan. Spread refried beans on it. Sprinkle the pepper, celery and onion on. Top with grated cheese. Chuck other tortilla on top. Flip it over after a couple of minutes. Cut it up with a pizza cutter into little triangle. Presto! Sandwich! Can be eaten cold but is better fresh out of the pan

Pack a jar of soup plus the sandwich in Oscar's lunchbox with some raisins and an organix cereal bar. Get Oscar dressed. Take the Monkey Music instruments out of the car (I forgot to do it last night). It's now 9.45.

Get us both in the car with the swim bag and the nappy bag. Go to the gym leaving Oz in the creche. Work out for 45 minutes. Then pick Oz up from the creche (he didn't want to leave!) Take Oz for his swimming lesson (he was very lazy and didn't kick!). Mum meets me at the pool to help me get Oz dressed - or really to do it for me so I can have a shower. Mum realises I haven't any nappies in my nappy bag so rushes across the road to get some while I pray Oscar doesn't pee or poo on the towel!

We have lunch at the pool - Oz enjoys his soup and sarnie. Drive home - he falls asleep in the car (hoorah) so I decant him into his cot and I put my feet up for an hour.

PM.
Once Oz wakes up, we drive to Bromley to meet Mum. Take Oz shoe shopping - he's been pointing at his feet and saying toes, shoes off for a while so I thought he might need some more (he's only had his current pair for about 6 weeks!). Yup - true enough - he's now a size 6.5G. Aka bigfoot. As some of you know, Rob has size 16 feet. Mine are size 9 - and these are UK sizes so my American readers - add 2 sizes to those....genetics dictate my son will be a clownfoot....and he's starting early. We get him a pair of trainers whose heels light up when he walks - he's very happy. Wander round Bromley, go to Starbucks - lovely afternoon with Mum.

Get home around 4.45. Cook Oz fish fingers, noodles and peas in parsley sauce for his tea. Great success and he eats the lot. He settles down for the bedtime hour on CBeebies and I start to cook fish pie!

2 salmon fillets
2 white fish fillets (it was frozen white fish - don't know what kind)
1 pack of half price prawns.
1 head of broccoli
2 eggs
1 large tub low fat creme fraiche
about half a pint of fish stock
Large pinch dried dill
Large pinch dried herbs
About 6 large potatoes
Spinach leaves
Some grated cheese mixed with breadcrumbs

I cut the fish up and put it in an ovenproof dish. Put spuds on to boil for mash. Cooked the broccoli and added that to the fish. Cooked the eggs - hardboiled - chopped them up and added them to the dish. Mixed the fish stock and creme fraiche with dill and herbs and poured that over the fish. Then put a layer of spinach leaves on top of the fishy concoction. Mashed the potatoes and put them on top. Grated some cheese with a slice of soya and linseed bread and topped it off with that! I'm currently baking it in the oven at Gas Mark 4 for about 40 minutes.

So there! I'm knackered but strangely pleased with myself. I couldn't do it every day - but I'm glad I did it today - needed to kick myself up the arse a bit and being busy always makes me happy. I'll sleep well tonight (as will Oz I hope).

Wow. Long post. Long day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO sorry I missed your blog yesterday but hope it went some way to clearing some air?
LOVING the recipes - Sod doing it every day but it sure makes you feel good once in a while!

Ok, get your diary out and let's plan another visit!

LOVE YA!

xxxx

Kirsti said...

So... you'll be cooking when you come and visit us then? Actually, if you do let me know what veggies, meat, fish etc Oz likes and dislikes, I can shop accordingly. The trainers sound very cool too.

Al said...

You never know the foot size thing might slow down, Daniel and Phil were a 9 and 7 at 18 months and are now a 7 and 6 at age 11, actually that's still not that normal is it, considering I have to buy them mansize socks!! Still it means moi also a big foot can nick them when in need of some socks (note to sock manufacturers we need bigger sock sizes for women than 4-7 please!!).Think Jack is going to follow in his brothers footsteps too foot size, which reminds me, a trip to Clarks is long overdue.

Alx

Clare said...

Wow, you are supermum!
Was lovely to chat at last x

Unknown said...

Wow, so much cooking in one day! I feel tired just reading your entry. May have to try the peas in parsley sauce.
Sorry i abandoned chat early last night, I was cream crackered. Dont think today is going to be a kick up the arse' day for me. iv ealready had a 2 hr nap with Sylv!
Chat proper soon xx

Sam said...

Phew! I'm knackered just reading that! So glad I'm not the only mum to have forgotten to pack a nappy, I was so embarrased (lucky you to have someone to nip over to the shop!) and hurrah, another bigfoot! John is also a 6G going on 7 rapidly! You'd think it'd make them more stable wouldn't you?

So long, farewell! said...

Fab job - I think that qualifies you as a supermum...

I think I just about managed to boil the kettle for a pot noodle yesterday :o)

I keep trying to leave comments but it won't let me - are you trying to tell me something? I won't be offended :o)

xxx