Monday, March 13, 2006

Advice please.....

I'm torn - not sure what to do. I was contacted by a researcher from a TV show on Friday - I was in the National Youth Theatre back in the day (1988-1990) at the same time as a certain Little Britain duo - David and Matt. I didn't know Matt Lucas at all - but I was in Surrender Dorothy with David - we went on tour to Edinburgh with the show. Now it was a large ensemble cast...and I was not the most popular (I was kind of annoying when I was 18 - very young and bouncy and overexcitable). I do have some tenuous memories of David - he was very very funny and a real clown - seemed to have no embarrassment gland - and I think I thought he was gay - kind of similar to how he is now really!

Anyway - I told this to the researcher - told her a little of what I remembered and suggested she contact another cast member (actually the only other one whose name I remembered!). But she's keen to interview me for the show. She wants real memories from people who knew him back in the day...

But I don't really think I want to do it. It's not like I'm a famous actor or anything. I don't want it to look like I'm hanging on their coat-tails in an attempt to get on the telly. To my slight shame, before I got pregnant with Oscar, I actually wrote to the Little Britain casting director (I was desperate for TV work!) telling her I'd been in the NYT with David in a vain attempt at networking my way in to an audition. Needless to say, I didn't get any response at all - and I kind of wish I hadn't done it - like I said - we weren't friends or anything - I just happened to share a stage with him for 2 weeks in Edinburgh and the production bankrupted the NYT for the year - that's how good we were.....I sat in the pub in a gang watching him do the best Frankie Howerd impersonation I've ever seen - and that's about it.

If I was working or succesful as an actor in my own right I think I wouldn't mind talking about it. But I don't want to look like a saddo....Am I making sense?

The researcher is very pushy and is calling me back on Thursday - I already admitted my reticence but I think she must be very short on material and is trying to be persuasive.

This is an "unauthorised" show - Matt and David aren't taking part...

Actually by writing all this down like this, I think I may have already made my mind up - but do tell me what you think.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you really want to do it, Sal. If you don't want to do it, don't. You don't owe that researcher anything. Having been on the researcher side of things, I can promise you that, if you decide to not participate, she'll live.

You've got a lot going on right now. Unless there's a chance that someone will notice your wonderful, sparkly personality in this interview and offer you a fabulous acting job, I think you'd be better off passing.

Kirsti said...

I wouldn't do it. And it sounds like that's where you're leaning too. Plus you never know how these things get edited - once you've said your piece, they can take all sorts of things out of context to get the story that the programme makers want to tell. There's also a good chance that even if Matt and David aren't taking part, either they or their agents will see it, and may take a dim view of anyone who does participate which might have future repercussions if you do run into either of them again on the acting circuit.

Jess said...

Go with your gut - sounds best to me.

Unknown said...

Dont do it!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are already a super star - which of course is why they want you.

Like anything just make sure you don't say anything mean - but I thought your comments on his Frankie Howerd impression was really sweet and funny - and quite funny how youi bankrupted the NYT and as you say it was all of you - it's not like you are talking about him personally. I'd much rather see you talking on it than a Radio 27 DJ - but then those shows are a bit crap!

Whatever you do, do it for yourself and have fun! x Pearl

zoe xx said...

Not in a month of Sundays - it would look like you were a hanger on and you're not - plus, they might edit you to look like you said something different, and were there ever a chance of you working in anything that they had anything to do with, then that would be scuppered too. And I bet the acting world is a pretty small one - they are big players these days and it's unauthorised, so it's probably not a good idea. I think you know that anyway, judging from what you've said. Get Rob to answer the phone and say that you've emigrated.

Anonymous said...

As everyone says my love, go with your heart and do whatever you want.
All your friends know what you're like and will still think you are wonderful BUT you also have a career to think of!

So long, farewell! said...

Nah babe, she sounds like a right bottom feeder, especially as I am sure she needed to do a lot of digging around to link you with them in the first place.

Think how cross you'd get if, in a few years time, they were doing a documentary about you and started interviewing people who'd once sat next to you at a bus stop.

Wait until you are collecting awards left right and centre and let David Walliams ring up and want to work with you :o)

x