Saturday, February 25, 2006

In defence of blogging

I've just had a chat with Wendy Lloyd on LBC (I'm becoming an addict to that radio station) who was very negative about blogging...so I rang in in defence! It was a good chat - her main point was that all bloggers are attention seeking saddos who blog for self-publicity in the hope of a book deal. Now i know of bloggers who are getting book deals from their work because they are amazingly talented writers. I even mentioned you Poppy! (but not your URL). But I think you'd have got a book anyway, blog or not, because you were a writer first and foremost. And had a magazine publish you already. That's not why you blog.

I also know of bloggers who, like me, blog for their own personal enjoyment. Or to keep family and friends who live a long way away up to date with their lives. I talked of how helpful some sites have been - especially about parenting. It's been refreshing and informative to read real life stories of being a parent. She made a sarcastic comment about "that's just what we need, more sites about motherhood" and then, when I challenged her, admitted she didn't have children so I told her she didn't know what she's talking about!

I don't think I changed her mind but I hope I gave a good impression that not all bloggers are fame seeking boring nerds. I wouldn't let her give out my URL on air so I proved I don't want the general public reading this. I love the people who read my blog - I know nearly all of them (or they know someone I know). The WWW is enormous. I can't imagine the general public finding this little corner of blogspot.

I think I'm going to have to join the LBC podcast for a month and download the show so I can check I didn't sound rubbish! My voice is very husky today after teaching 4 Monkey Music classes yesterday with a cold.....

7 comments:

So long, farewell! said...

She sounds like a right cow - good on ya for sticking up for the wonderful world of blog :o)

xxx

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Sal!

People who don't get blogging are just like the people who balked at online dating and communities a decade ago. They don't know a damn thing about it, but feel the need to pass judgement nonetheless. Their loss. They're the ones who are going to be left behind as our culture becomes more connected through technology.

Marybeth said...

Good for you, Sal! I'm just a regular person who blogs for the fun of it. I hate it when people who don't know crap make generalizations. Ugh.

Katuska said...

Well done Sal!!
And whats wrong with blogging anyway? You get to see other people's interests and yes, sometimes you come across some seriously funny, witty stuff that is a joy to read.
I like seeing a bit more personal stories from you guys, a bit more detail about you that wouldn't make to BC as it's not baby related. I read all your blogs as often as I can and no bitter Radio Woman could talk me out of it. There.
LOL.

xxx

zoe xx said...

Surely for most people it's just an extension of getting a page a day diary in January and trying to record the goings on in thier life - mainly for personal enjoyment? Only this is easier and quicker?

I imagine that Wendy Lloyd is a bit of a luddite - what she doesn't understand is a threat to her.

I am starting to get a bit worried about your LBC addiction though...

Anonymous said...

Aha I found your blog coz someone left it open in a public internet cafe! I enjoyed reading the pages I got a chance too especially liked the bit where you defended blogging. Regards.

Dixie said...

Bravo, Sal! You're terrific!

Poppy said it just right...those who blog bash are the ones who don't get it. Couldn't write one themselves so they sneer at those who can.

I wonder what she'd say about me? I don't write for attention nor to get a book deal and I don't have kids. Oh well, she'd likely brush me off as one of those freaks who married someone she met online.