Monday, January 23, 2006

Can't think of a pithy title

It's been a bit of a tough day. Oz has been very whiny and tantrummy. He's fine if you distract him but by 4pm I was knackered. He wasn't good in the creche this morning so I could only do one class, instead of my usual two....he wouldn't eat lunch, only slept for an hour and then was running rampant round Gambado.

(And I was premenstrual btw cos I'm menstrual today which doesn't help matters. )

To answer comments questions about the weightloss - I'm heavier now than when i got pregnant the first time - and that was too heavy. I got diabetes in pregnancy and will almost certainly get it again so I need to be fighting fit - or as near as possible - before I get preggers again. Had another good day - the knitting helps - but I'm not counting points and I should. Can't find my WW handbook to work out how many points I'm on - if anyone reading can remind me of the points to weight ratio I'd be grateful. Maybe I should just go to a meeting but I can't see Oscar co-operating at ALL. He won't sit still and I'd find it too stressful (or is that just an excuse....I dunno!)



The knitting -here's a pic - it's going slowly - I am no knitting whizkid - partly because i don't have much time to do it, partly because I'm bloody slow! Every time I get the urge to nibble, I knit instead.

I've dropped a lot of stitches. But I'm liking it. God knows what it's going to be - a scarf I though because that's just a rectangle. At the moment it's just something to do with my hands.




I can hear Rob giving Oz his bath and bed routine and Oscar is giving him a hard time...part of me says "good!" so he knows what kind of day I've had, but part of me feels sorry for him! He lapsed on the fags today - smoked 4 - and has admitted he needs help to do it - the patches or gum aren't doing it for him. Problem is, he won't go to a sit down and discuss your feelings kind of support group and the idea of calling quitline makes him want a fag even more as he HATES telephones - they bring him out in a sweat. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Kirsti said...

Good for Rob for admitting he needs help. Would online websits work for him? I'm thinking of something like QuitNet - no telephones, no scary face-to-face interaction, but a lot of support.

The knitting's looking good - and yep, it's a great thing to reach for rather than a snack. A scarf is a good thing to pratice on - once you've got the hang of knit stitches, try purling. Then you can make sections of it ribbed just for fun. If you're increasing stitches, it's usually because at the start of each row, the first stitch has slipped to the back of the needle, so you see what look like two loops - so knit them as two stitches. Try giving the knitting a gentle tug into place, and another tug on the loose yarn before you start knitting - and look carefully to make sure your needle is going only into the loop of that first stitch. Hope that makes some sense!

So long, farewell! said...

I have no fag quitting suggestions apart from I hear Zyban (Wellbutrin) is great. It's a pill you take which makes you hate fags, but you can only get it on prescription. In the states it is RX'd for quitting smoking and depression, so I tried to get some last year (better living through Chemistry and all that) but it is only RX'd for smoking over here so they wouldn't let me have it. DH then went to try and get it to stop smoking but the doc wouldn't bend to his will and signed him up for 'group smoking therapy' which he promptly mocked, refusing to be satisfied with 'touchy feely crap' when he wanted drugs... darn blokes... grrrr... He thinks the doctors just want you to suffer when you quit to keep you busy...

The knitting looks fab and it sounds like a great way to not snack. Mine is still on hold as, when I try to knit one purl one, either all the stitches fall off or it just looks crap. I've tried watching videos but I don't know if I'm supposed to be knitting american or hungarian or european... any help would be appreciated :o)

So, tell Rob to get some Zyban and see how it suits him. Big hugs girl, I know how tough it is living with a bloke trying to quit! I here if you need me...

xxx

EG said...

Hiya Sally, the only thing I did when I gave up was to put the money away each day that I had saved by not buying fags and ended up with a lovely £250 which I blew on clothes.

Ess x

Sally said...

What is purling? How does it differentiate from knitting? I have no idea what kind of knitting I'm doing - the basic easy kind of stitch that Moxie taught me when we did Handbags and I had to knit on stage....

So long, farewell! said...

You kind of stick the needle in back to front and wind the yarn round the other way (very technical description I know!) but it always get's muddled when I try...

xxx

Kirsti said...

Purling is, like Moxie said, the opposite of knitting. Alternating a row of purl with a row of knit gives you the kind of knitting that you get in, say, Oz's sweater and hat - all the Vs lined up on one side.

Have a look at the knittinghelp.com videos - basically to purl, you make sure the yarn is in FRONT of the needle, not at the back; put the right hand needle into the stitch from the bottom right side, up to the top left (so basically the opposite of knitting, where it goes in at the bottom left and out at the top right of the loop), wrap the yarn around, and pull the old stitch off. Not nearly as tricky as people think.

If you hold the yarn in your right hand, you're knitting English; in the left is Continental.

Kirsti, knitting guru :)

zoe xx said...

Sal get the books from class (haven't you still got them from last time) and go to the website - I have never paid the WW a penny, and use the boards for support and ideas, and then my book/cardboard calculator at home.

The points ratio is based on your weight and activity levels now, I am on 24. If you email me I will tell you what I weigh (sorry, no public admittance!) and you could add one more point for each stone more/take one away for each stone less than me you are as we are about the same age and I imagine activity levels. Does that help?

How about acupuncture for Rob?