Tuesday, January 31, 2006

After a lovely saturday

Sunday sucked. Went to IKEA - big mistake with a mad toddler and a grumpy nicotine deprived husband. I was really looking forward to it - last time we went was such fun - Oscar climbing on other people's furniture....but Rob had no patience and it was very busy and it all got grumpy and horrible.

Big downer. Which lasted into Monday - I couldn't sleep on Sunday night for some reason so was knackered yesterday and Oz hasn't been himself for a while. I think he might have had roseola virus - he had a rash on Friday night and had been running a temp - but not a high one so maybe it wasn't - maybe it's teething - mum experts out there - can you get a rash with teething? A body rash - it was on his belly and back and was red - and his skin was dry. He screamed in the creche for an hour while I did my gym class but perked up in the afternoon at the soft play centre.

He drank lots yesterday but his appetite is still low which is frustrating in itself.

Today was good though -met my friends Alison and Jackie in Bromley - haven't seen them for ages - and played at Adventure Kingdom (another soft play centre) before mooching round the shops.

Oz didn't eat much and only slept for an hour if that - and is currently bawling his head off as Rob puts him to bed....

What did we do before soft play places? Can't imagine being a mum in the 70's and 80's in the winter with a hyper toddler....

Can't wait till tomorrow night to watch that breastfeeding documentary they're plugging on Channel 4 - there's a woman on there who breastfeeds her 7 year old.....will spark interesting debates I think - I breastfed till Oz was about 7 months old and then he wasn't interested - I have friends who continued until their children were around 14 months. 2 year olds breastfeeding makes me feel a little uneasy. Anything over that and I'm not sure who it's benefitting - and what sort of psychological hangups you could give your kids.

7 years old just looks totally wrong from the clips I've seen. But I know there are arguments for it - here for example - maybe it is just a cultural thing - I don't know - I'm going to watch it and then I'll let you know what I think - what do you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen the adverts for that bf docu. The woman with what looks like a 10yr old lying along the sofa...BITTY!!!!!!!!!!
Ive bf all my kids but the thought of doing it when they are in school makes me shudder!
Sorry your Sunday was crap but yay to having a nice day today
xxxxxxx

Al said...

Great to see you today, posted a couple of pics of Oz and you on my blog. Not sure about the rash, children always get rashes and usually for no reason, but it could just be he came into contact with something his skin didn't like. As a fellow redhead (when I'm not dying it!) I can say our skin his hyper sensitive to just about anything.

As for the bf a 7 year old, what does the mum do when he's at school - hang her boobs through the railings every lunchtime?!!! I often think that those who do it beyond what is considered beneficial for the baby do it for their own personal benefit. But I say no more before I start something!

Alx

So long, farewell! said...

Sorry you had a crap Sunday babe. I really don't envy your Ikea trip. I can't stand going to Tesco when DH is hungry and/or in nicotine withdrawl land and have been known to order online when he's off on one just to save my sanity!

I've been counting down till that documentary is on too and "Ewwww-ing" at the telly when the giant child is having a good old suckle. Each to their own though I suppose, but as Kell said "Bitty..."

On a documentary note, did you see The Perfect Penis last night? One man (mister Mark) had injected his meat and two veg with so much sillicone he looked like he had elephantitis... go to extremec*ck.org for pictures :o)

xxx

Clare said...

Confession! I fed Livvy until she was 26 months!!!!! Shock horror freako alert!! hehe. Don't know why it carried on that long but it didn't seem strange at all. And I'm still feeding Gabriel at 17 months. I won't be watching as I know it would freak me out to see older kids still breastfeeding.

Ikea rocks, but not with kids!

Nic said...

Hi,
Poor you with stroppy men in Ikea. They should have a child and father creche in those places I think so when they all get stroppy they can go and sit in there!
Jack had a rash with teething once. They get rashes for anything though, sometimes its because their body is fighting off an infection and the only indication that they have an infection is the rash. Could be like Al said too though and its something his skin didn't like.
Yeah I need to remember to watch that documentary tomorrow night. With Jack I said I would bf till he was 3months then that went so I said 6months but he decided that enough was enough at 5 so thats when he stopped. With Lou I was in that much agony to start with that when she carried on, I just let her and stopped when she was just a year. She wasn't really interested and I felt like if I carried on, I'd be doing it for me rather than her. I quite liked that time with her at the end of the day (she was only having it before bed) but I don't think I would have carried on much longer. I have friends who have carried on to two years and I think thats fine. There are lots of arguements for extended feeding till then but 4 and 5yr olds? I think thats a bit wierd.
Nic
x

Jess said...

I know a bunch of kids who were weaned around 2 or 3...that seems pretty normal to me. I have no idea how long my mom breastfed me, come to think of it...But seven does seem a bit extreme.