Friday, March 11, 2005

Make Poverty History...or how my heart has got bigger since I had a baby

Have you noticed the white band on the top right of this page? Have you clicked on it? I hope you have and if you haven't - please do now. And if you can, please put a band either on your wrist or on your site and support the huge number of people who are taking action to make poverty history.

It's comic relief night here in England tonight. I've watched Comic Relief most years since it started 18 years ago. When I was younger I'd do stupid things and raise money. In recent years I watched it to see the comedy and often flicked channels during the poignant money raising film segments from Africa. I've always donated some money - either by buying a nose or donating on the night. But tonight - P.O (Post -Oscar) those film segments killed me. The majority of them showed children in distress. And since becoming a mother I can't bear to see them. I spent the evening in tears one minute and laughing at the comedy the next - which is the point really.

I never realised how much empathy arrived with my baby. How much love I had inside me, waiting to be birthed along with my son. How different the world is when you look through a mother's eyes.

So please, click on my link, maybe even have a look at the Comic Relief website. I'm not asking you to do more than that. I hope I don't sound preachy. I'm just full of empathy tonight.

Thank you

No comments: